Saturday, May 31, 2008

Viva

- I'm back home in Vegas now, having a great time with my family. I went with my brother to see Love last night, the Beatles Cirque du Soleil show at the Mirage, and it was fantastic. They put together some expressive, elaborate set pieces to go with a number of the most famous Beatles songs (my personal favorite was "Something") and they brought together a lot of different elements from dancing to acrobatics to large puppet pieces to a narrative projected video. It made me want to dig through my mp3 collection for some Beatles again. Besides that I'm helping out today with a catering job for my mom's catering company. This is the biggest job of the year for her: every year she caters the graduation at my old high school, which is about 500-600 people. It's a couple of days of hectic work, and I'm sure by the end of the night tonight I'm going to be exhausted.

- The Rules and Bylaws Committee of the Democratic National Committee is meeting today to discuss allowing Michigan and Florida delegates a seat at the convention and the ability to have their say in the nomination. I'm a bit conflicted over whether they should be allowed back in. For one, they did break the laws on primaries set by the DNC and should be punished for it; two, Obama was not even on the Michigan primary ticket, leaving Hilary the unopposed candidate; and three, there is not enough time or resources to run another round of primaries in these states if they do decide to allow them, so delegates will have to make their decision through a muddled view of their constituents. On the bright side, the latest round of polls show Obama defeating McCain in November by 8% and Obama was here in Las Vegas on Wednesday! (I didn't know ahead of time so I couldn't go, but Twitter let me know about the event as it was happening.) He spoke about the housing crisis and his plan to help victims of predatory lending by fining predatory lenders, blanket changing the terms of those loans to fair terms, and then taking the money collected through the fines and putting it into a $10 billion foreclosure prevention fund to help the victims. I think it's a great move and it really hits at the heart of the problem, that people who took out these loans do not have the ability to repay them at this point and leaving them high and dry will only damage our economy.

No comments: